We all want to make the most of our outdoor space and a good patio design can really improve your garden and help you make the most of it. The following article published on homfurniture.com suggests some patio design tips and looks at things you may want to consider when looking at upgrading your patio area…
If you are on the market to give your patio space an upgrade, there are several things to consider. You want something that looks current. However, you also want something that lasts for more than just a single season or two. By investing in quality outdoor furniture, you can enjoy your patio for the rest of this year, next year and for years to come.
Along with quality, you’ll want to keep the design in mind. By planning around the aesthetics of your space, focusing on neutrals and adding in personality through the accessories, you can create a personalized space that won’t go out of style with the season. Consider these top ten patio design tips for creating a space that you’ll love.
1. Design around your space: Similar to designing an indoor space, you should carefully select patio furniture to fit your space. First, consider how you want to use the space. If you love entertaining, a large outdoor dining set should be the centerpiece to your porch, patio or even poolside area. More for lounging with a great book and favorite drink? You may want to consider an outdoor sofa. Once you’ve decided on the type of furniture you want, you must also measure the space and make sure there is plenty of room for the pieces, and that you’ll still be able to move around with ease. Next up? It seems obvious, but outdoor living is all about enjoying the outdoors! Focus on nature by choosing furniture and arrangements that won’t obstruct your views.
2. Introduce a table as a focal point: There’s nothing quite like dining al fresco. For many people, a patio dining set is the focal point of their space. There are many choices for outdoor dining. Start by determining the number of seats. Choose a small bistro table if you have a small space and frequently dine solo or with a partner. A 5- or 7-piece dining set is ideal for many families, and larger dining sets are available if you have the space and love entertaining. You can also choose a more versatile arrangement by adding a bench to your dining table and chairs, or choosing an outdoor extension table to accommodate guests. Styles are as versatile as the seating options, making a patio table a great starter piece for defining your outdoor dining space.
3. Mix styles: Have fun with your outdoor space, and don’t be afraid of mixing design styles. Even if your indoor style tends to stick with traditional, you can incorporate a few more current pieces outdoors. Try a transitional outdoor area rug or a few casual, wicker pieces that can help update your design. And for the brave of heart – go ahead and mix centuries, finishes and more to create your perfect, boho-chic outdoor oasis.
4. Mix materials: We often think of certain materials when considering outdoor furniture and accessories. However, today’s selection and trends focus on mixing materials, and outdoor furniture is no exception. By mixing materials such as wood, metal, woven wicker and outdoor fabrics, you can bring personality into the room.
5. Use lighter weight looking fabrics: Stick with the easy, breezy outdoor feeling by choosing lighter weight fabrics, or at least fabrics with a lightweight look.
6. Start with neutrals: Stick with neutral colors for your big pieces of outdoor furniture. By choosing a neutral sofa or loveseat, you can easily coordinate pieces and are more likely to choose furniture that won’t feel dated in a few years. Besides, the views should be the real star of your outdoor living space design.
7. Incorporate colours and patterns through throw pillows: Choose throw pillows in your favorite colors and designs. It’s an easy way to bring your individual tastes into your patio or deck, and you can always update them in a few years if you want a refresh. Taking it a step further, you could even switch your outdoor throw pillows out with the season.
8. Define spaces with an area rug: A great rug can make or break a space. Tie your dining or lounging area together with an outdoor rug. A large rug positioned under a dining table is a stylish addition that helps create a finished look. Make sure to choose one that is large enough for chairs to be easily pushed in and out without slipping off the edge of your rug. You can also position an outdoor rug with your sofa and lounge chairs. Place the front legs of each piece of furniture on the rug, and you have a dedicated conversation area ready for entertaining.
9. Don’t forget shade: There are certain elements that have to be taken into consideration when planning an outdoor space, and the sun is one of them. If you don’t have a lot of natural shade, you can bring in an easy-to-use standard patio table market umbrella. Specialty umbrellas in different sizes and even shapes are also available.
10. Invest in timeless pieces: You get what you pay for. We’ve all heard it before, and it’s very true in outdoor furniture. If you choose to invest in quality furniture, you can enjoy comfort for years to come. It’s also important to choose styles that will last. Stick with timeless pieces that you won’t get tired of before the furniture starts to show their wear. You can always update outdoor accessories to change your space without a major expense.
Remember that any outdoor living space is an extension of your home’s interior. Follow these tips to select outdoor furniture that will work with your space, and choose pieces that you love now and that will continue to inspire you for years to come.
You can read the full article on patio design tips homfurniture.com.
At Bernie’s Gardening Services, we are experts in garden patio design and are committed to giving you the best possible outdoor space. Interested? Contact us today for a free quote and we can advise on more patio design tips and tricks – your dream garden could be closer than you think!